QPR REPORT

Thursday, November 24, 2005

 

QPR EVENTS - OCTOBER


October 2005 - QPR's Communications Manager, Phil Harris is departing...various other internal changes

QPR Official SiteHARRIS DEPARTS

Queens Park Rangers Communications Manager Phil Harris is to leave the club.Harris has enjoyed overall responsibility for the management of the Club's PR and media relations and all publications, including the official website and matchday programme.But after eight years at Loftus Road he has taken the decision to move on."It is a huge wrench to leave QPR and I will never forget the friends I have made both inside the club and in the wider QPR community," he said. "This is both a wonderful football club and a truly fantastic place to work and I will leave with a host of great memories."Nevertheless, my wife and I have decided to return to my native Norfolk to bring up our young daughter and get our weekends back!"I would like to thank everyone who has helped to make this such an enjoyable eight years. I am very proud of our department's achievements both in terms of quality and also the significant revenue generated for the club by one of the Football League's flagship websites."I will truly miss not being involved in the club on a day to day basis and I depart knowing that Queens Park Rangers will be forever in my heart."Chairman Gianni Paladini admits that the Club will be sorry to see Harris go."Phil has done a wonderful job here at Loftus Road, sometimes in very difficult circumstances, and I am genuinely sad that he is leaving," he said. "He will be greatly missed and I would like to wish him and his family the very best for the future."Harris's departure will lead to a restructuring of Queens Park Rangers' Communications Department. Jackie Bass is to assume overall responsibility for media and public relations as well as continuing to edit the matchday programme, while Billy Rice takes over as the Club's official webmaster.His remit will also incorporate developing and enhancing the club's extensive new media portfolio and the organisation of associated supporter events such as the popular Fans Forums and live internet Q&As.Meanwhile, a Publications Officer has been appointed to provide editorial support to the website, programme and all official club publications.http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10373~735006,00.html


Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Highlights of Holloway's Q&A
QPR OFFICIAL SITE- QPR World Interview with Ian HollowayWhat’s Going on With Richard Langley I didn't want to lose him and I'm the one who brought him back because I believe he will be, in the future, a fantastic ball playing midfielder.I want him to be able to go forward and back as I want the right balance. Chelsea have got people like Frank Lampard who can do both jobs.Richard isn't as fit as he should be both physically and mentally. Sometimes he can be a bit hesitant and that's not the Richard I know. He had a slight calf strain before the Preston game so he couldn't take part, but he had been involved before then and has been on the bench since.Can you play Langley and Rowlands together?There's no reason why I can't see it in the future. I think Rowlands is sadly missed at the moment. He gives us balance and closes better than anyone I've got when we haven't got the ball. Sometimes my other midfielders don't do that.My choices in midfield are something to be proud of. As long as I've got one or two of them on the bench they will put pressure on those out there.Why do you make substitutions so late on in games?I wanted to bring Georges Santos on the other day against Plymouth, but by the time I got him on there wasn't any time left as the fourth official had told me a bit of a porkie.If we're getting back in the game and creating chances, then I like to change it and I've got good help in my coaches.A lot of the team who is playing didn't have a complete full season. Dean Sturridge is trying to get fit by playing games, which isn't ideal.I've never picked a team that I don't believe is right for the team we are playing against. If it doesn't work I have to sit back and put my hands up and take responsibility.Has Georges Santos got a clause in his contract that says he has to play?No he hasn't, he's a fantastic war horse for us. He's been a great player for us, for nothing, but I think that's very unfair and harsh.He does make mistakes and when he does they are glaring. But I think he's performing above some of the others I've got here at the moment.Do you get a stiff neck talking to all the tall players we've got now?I make sure they all sit down first! But I am trying to increase the size of my players. Our back line used to be far too small. You've only got to look at the Premiership boys to see how big they are.In the modern day game you have to win the ball in both boxes. Peter Crouch has proved that you can have the height and a great touch.Is there a possibility that we could play a more attacking midfield?It depends who we're playing, who's fit, the report I get on the opposition and it depends on the week we're having on the training ground. I need a creative midfield but they need to be able to defend as well.You have to be fit to play the way I want, which is high tempo and a lot of closing down. Having just seen the video of our game against Norwich, I must say I thought our passing game was very good.I think Tommy Doherty will get better, but this is all about having options and being unpredictable for your opposition.What is your footballing philosophy and have you ever sent out a team to express it?I'd want to play similar to Chelsea but in Arsenal's formation. Vieira used to go forward for them but they're lacking that now. I love the way they get the ball down and pass it.You're only as strong as your weakest link and sometimes you break down, but I think we're getting better.Paul Furlong hasn't really been on form, why are you persevering with him?The fact is he hasn't scored as many, but his link play is still there. He was hated when he came here and then became a legend last season. But for me he's proving irreplaceable.If Swansea can turn down £1m for Lee Trundell how am I going to replace Paul Furlong?Yes we need to move past Paul Furlong eventually, but I need to have everybody fit. Have we got enough strength in depth? No, I don't think so.Scott Donnelly shouldn't have to be playing on a regular basis at the age of 16, I'll bet there isn't someone that age anywhere else in the Championship playing at that age.It's the most expensive place on the field and look at how much we've had to spend on it. If Furlong was still 26 how much would he be worth?I'll drop players as I see fit, and I'll stand and fall on my decisions.Do you feel under pressure?That's part of the job, but I don't like it when I hear people saying not to believe me because I'm just trying to get a new contract. I don't control the board I just pick the side.I've had four chairman, two Chief Executives and now I don't have one. But at the end of the day, QPR fans still have a club and that's one thing I'm proud of - totally.I have got the hump from the weekend because I believe certain things aren't right, there are rumours. But this will all take care of itself. You'll all know what happened, it will all be there. All you have to worry about is judging our players fairly.If I had to leave today I'd be very proud of what my team and staff, past and present, have achieved.Who has been a major factor for this club?It's everyone who buys a ticket - so don't leave us. If you don't agree with team selection, no problem. But don't pick sides in an argument you don't know anything about.Will we see any players coming in or out in the next transfer window?The board are trying to sort out all the bills at the moment. But I've been told I can look for some signings in the January transfer window, I just don't know how much I've got.As for letting people go, there are some who aren't happy and have been out on loan and might not like having to fight for a place here.What is the situation with Shabazz Baidoo?We had the chance to send him to Lincoln, but you can't loan scholars out. When he's 17 we can make him a pro and he can go out on loan then. He's working on his finishing and improving very quickly.It's hard to say how close he is, but that's up to him. We nicked him from Arsenal but he's been brought up our way and he seems very positive.There was a rumour that West Ham wanted him but that was just a rumour. I spoke to Alan Pardew and he assured me it wasn't the case.What's the latest on your future with the club?Gianni said he wanted to give some stability to the club, but I feel the most important thing is that the board get sorted and I get some direction regarding the future because that's what matters to the fans.My focus is on the team more than myself. If the board wants to talk to my agent that's fine, but I want to put that on the back burner. I'm more than happy to work for the new board in the same way that I was happy to work for the last board.As long as whoever is in charge is happy to pick up the baton and run with it, I'm happy to work for them.Do you want to increase the size of the squad and in what position?I've got some loan signings lined up if people get injured and we're also looking at some targets. The most I've ever spent was borrowed from a fan and that was £250,000Do you think Marc Nygaard can be a replacement for Furlong eventually?Well he's a different sort of player to Furs, it may be that I need two players to replace him when that day comes. But he's a great player, he's fresh and he's hungry.What did you think of the booing directed at Georges Santos last Saturday?Some players are liked and some aren't, but I don't understand it. If they were booing when he scored then they have a serious problem.What's the latest with the loan signings?Adam Miller and Aaron Brown have been sent back but Marcus Bean is still at Swansea and is doing very well. His contract is up at the end of the season but for now I think it's good for him to be there getting some experience.Have you ever considered watching the game from the Director's Box to get a different view?I have done it before, but I'm a bit superstitious and we've never done well when I'm up there. Plus I feel that the team need the encouragement of the coaches being down there on the touch line.http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10373~732152,00.html
# posted by Administrator @ 11:44 AM 0 comments

Holloway's Q&A - Summary
Ian Holloway had a Q&A on QPR World, October 25: Dave B has posted a lengthy summary (but NOT a transcript) on the QPR.ORG Message Board. It can be read athttp://www.qpr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic_view=threads&p=123958&t=37892
# posted by Administrator @ 8:54 AM 1 comments
Tuesday, October 25, 2005


QPR 1st's Meeting with Paladini & Caliendo - Report
Minutes/Report from Meeting with QPR Board reps Friday 21st October
2005http://www.qpr1st.co.uk/documents/GandAminutes.docIn attendance:QPR Holdings Ltd Reps:Gianni Paladini (GP) Chairman; Antonio Caliendo (AC) Monaco groups’ consultant; Chris Pennington (CP) Chief financial officerQPR 1st Reps:Geoff Gibbs (GG) Treasurer; Tracy Stent (TS) ChairpersonOther: Tony Altieri; Italian translatorVenue: The Chairman’s office, QPR FC.http://www.qpr1st.co.uk/documents/GandAminutes.doc


The ABC of boardroom intrigue at Loftus Road -(David Conn/The Guardian)
The ABC of boardroom intrigue at Loftus RoadDavid Conn, sports news reporter of the year Wednesday October 19, 2005 The GuardianWe know plenty more now about how Chelsea were airlifted from Ken Bates' debt mountain by the billionaire from nowhere, but for their near-neighbours, Queens Park Rangers, no such outrageous fortune has delivered them from turmoil. QPR were threatened with expulsion by the Football League in 2002, having been in administration for a year, and staggered out only by clutching a £10m loan from the mysterious Panama-registered ABC Corporation, which has burdened them ever since. Now, after a string of boardroom showdowns, the club is run by Gianni Paladini, an Italian former players' agent and, increasingly, Antonio Caliendo, the one-time Mr Big of Italian agents who in 1991 received a 10-month suspended prison sentence for attempted corruption. QPR are mostly owned by two New York-registered companies, Barnaby and Wenlock, who operate from Monte Carlo. "I have fallen in love with Queens Park Rangers, its name and history," Caliendo told me, through an interpreter, this week. "We want to rebuild it both as a team and a business." Caliendo, 61, found early success selling encyclopaedias door-to-door, rose up the ranks of the De Agostini publishing group, then in 1979 fixed what were thought to be the first personal endorsements by an Italian footballer, for the international playmaker Giancarlo Antognoni. Caliendo claims that in the 1990 World Cup final between West Germany and Argentina, he represented 12 of the 22 players on the pitch, but he also dates his troubles in Italy from the same year, after his client Roberto Baggio's move from Fiorentina to Juventus, which provoked riots by Fiorentina fans. In 1991, officers from the Italian tax authorities raided Caliendo's offices, he was arrested, then on May 30 he did a deal, accepting a 10-month suspended prison sentence for attempted corruption. Caliendo told me he is intensely proud of his record and defends his reputation for "moral integrity" absolutely. He said he accepted the conviction only on his solicitor's advice, to secure a quick release from prison, and considered suing the government. A year later, in July 1992, an investigation into the collapse of the Italian club, Hellas Verona, led to Caliendo, among others, being arrested and remanded in custody, but, after a long investigation, he was not prosecuted. "I was never convicted of anything in relation to Verona," Caliendo said. "Several high-profile figures were attacked by the Revenue in Italy at that time." Caliendo said he is ready to "accept new challenges", and, like Paladini, a long-term associate, has given up his agent's licence to become fully involved at Loftus Road. Caliendo is shortly expected to become the club's new chairman. It is expected he will pass the Football League's "fit and proper person test" for directors, because his criminal conviction dates from long enough ago to be regarded as spent. QPR are still reaping the consequences of their version of living the dream, after they were taken over and floated on the stock market in 1996 by Chris Wright, the Chrysalis music entrepreneur. He invested £10m but, in April 2001, with QPR having lost £27m, Wright put QPR into administration. A month later they were relegated to the then Second Division. In May 2002, with the Football League insisting the club could not start the new season in administration, QPR accepted the £10m loan from the ABC Corporation, at 10%, £1m, annual interest, secured on Loftus Road. ABC's owners cannot be officially identified, but sources at QPR believe the man behind the company is Michael Hunt, the former Nissan UK director who in 1993 was sentenced to eight years in jail for his role in what was then Britain's largest tax fraud. In July 2003 a QPR fan and businessman, Bill Power, born and bred in Shepherd's Bush, bought some unissued shares and joined the board; QPR rallied and, with Ian Holloway their manager, won promotion to the Championship. Gianni Paladini told me that, like Caliendo, he was looking for a new challenge, and examined Port Vale and Derby - which also has a loan from the ABC Corporation, £15m - then eventually offered £670,000 for 10% of QPR. The club, facing another red tax bill, accepted the investment hungrily. This barely staunched the financial problems, however, so then, arranged by Caliendo, the two New York-registered vehicles, Barnaby and Wenlock, paid £1.7m for 29.9% of QPR, most of which went straight to the tax man. In August, following boardroom upheavals, Power quit, Mark Devlin was made redundant as chief executive, and the last London-based director, Kevin McGrath, resigned last month. QPR's directors now are Paladini, the former Brazil captain Dunga, representing Barnaby, and Gualtiero Trucco, a 34-year-old based in Monte Carlo, representing Wenlock. The club and its fans are reeling from a series of revelations, particularly about ballooning agents' fees paid out since Paladini became more closely involved. In the six months to June 30 2004, the Football League's list of agents' payments show QPR paid just £12,000 altogether. Then, from July 1 2004 to June 30 this year, QPR paid £320,935 in fees. Many of the payments were to agents who are friends or former associates of Paladini. Brian Hassall, a Midlands-based agent, was involved in a long-running legal claim against Paladini, which was eventually settled, and he was paid the highest single fee, £60,000, when QPR signed the Danish striker Marc Nygaard at the beginning of this season. Paladini told me the payment was absolutely legitimate and not connected to his legal battle: "Brian and I settled it, now we are friends, and of course I deal with people I know. Ian Holloway was looking for a big lad, Nygaard was at Brescia, I checked him out with Roberto Baggio, who said he would be perfect for English football. When you sign a player, you pay agents, that's how football works. Now, after all this fuss, we will try not to do it in future, but all the deals were above board and in the best interests of QPR." All the agents' payments are understood to have been registered with the League, as required by the rules, except one, £10,000 paid to Paladini's close friend Mel Eves when QPR signed Dean Sturridge from Wolves. Paladini explained that Eves was acting for QPR as a dealmaker and so the payment did not need to be registered. The League is understood to have discussed QPR's situation with the FA's financial advisory unit, but neither the FA nor the League is taking any action currently. "We are monitoring the situation," a League spokesman said. Paladini told me that he, Caliendo and the investors, are the only game in town: "What have we done wrong? Put money in to save this club? We want the club to succeed, then everybody, including the investors, will be happy." Talks have begun with a developer about possibly relocating from Loftus Road and building a new stadium in White City, which may clear QPR's financial problems and make them money. Paladini said he could understand, "100%", fans worrying that, in the hands of former agents, their club might be used to make money by moving players in and out. But he said: "Nothing under the table is going on. If anybody thinks there is, let them bring the evidence. But, actually, isn't it better to have people in who know football and have made a living out of it? Clubs got into a mess partly because rich people, who knew nothing about football, put money in - and they got ripped off." davidconn@guardian.co.uk.Additional research: John Hooper. Burns' Hoop nightmare When Lord Terry Burns was appointed last year to undertake the "structural review" of football's governing body, the FA, we were told he was a Queens Park Rangers fan; he was also a director of the club through its troubles, appointed by his old university friend, Chris Wright, in 1996, staying on the board until March 2001. QPR went into administration a month later and has still not recovered. Surprising, then, that Burns' mind-numbingly dull report, delivered in August, which focused on bureaucratic minutiae, seemed so uninformed by what might have been a formatively traumatic experience at QPR. "Football in general," he wrote, "continues to enjoy very good health in England." The next day at QPR's first match of the season against Sheffield United, Gianni Paladini was allegedly held up at gunpoint, an incident over which four men have been charged. Burns did not want to talk publicly this week about his time at QPR. As a non-executive director of the football club, it is understood he was largely "meeting and greeting" opposing clubs' directors on matchdays, but he was consulted on financial issues, the appointment of managers and major signings. Burns' structural review, however, deals only indirectly with clubs' financial management, and not at all with the financial gap between the Premier League and Football League, so damaging for clubs such as QPR. And his main answer to the FA's struggles to govern the game? Ah yes: appoint non-executive directors to the board. http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1595541,00.htm l?gusrc=rss


QPR1st on QPR's Remaining Directors & Wanlock & Barnaby Consortiums
QPR1st -Kevin McGrath officially resigns as a directorOctober 16, 2005 - Whilst doing one of our regular checks on the companies house website towards the end of last week, we were interested to note that Kevin McGrath's official resignation as a director on the board of QPR holdings ltd had been filed....This means that following the departures of Bill Power and Mark Devlin, the board representation now consists purely of those representing Moorbound ltd and the overseas consortiums of Wanlock and Barnaby LLC's. .... http://www.qpr1st.co.uk/main/newsarticle.asp?id=34QPR1st News Update -Latest news update October 15, 2005.....The most recent annual return is up to May 13th 2005 .....The addresses of Wanlock and Barnaby are both in the financial district of New York [Albany, NY]. Barnaby holdings is based at the offices of USA Corporate Services Inc. Wanlock's address has several offices, including a law firm and an accountant. Both companies are LLC's (Limited Liability Companies).http://www.qpr1st.co.uk/main/newsarticle.asp?id=35


Gianni Paladini Interviewed
Kilburn TimesExclusive -Gianni Paladini interviewKilburn Times/Camden Times nwl.sport@archant.co.uk12 October 2005 QPR chairman Gianni Paladini NEW QPR chairman Gianni Paladini has revealed his plans for the club in an exclusive interview with the Times, writes Ben Kosky.Paladini, who was already Rangers' majority shareholder, took over last month after winning a boardroom battle with previous chairman Bill Power.The Italian explains why he has adopted a 'hands-on' role in the day-to-day running of the club since the departure of chief executive Mark Devlin.Paladini also believes he can make Rangers a profitable company - and pledges that if he fails, the shortfall will be made up by himself and fellow major shareholders.And the Rangers chairman plans to reintroduce a family section at Loftus Road, possibly as soon as next week, to counter falling attendances since the summer rise in ticket prices.Read the full interview in this week's Times.http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/content/camden/kilburntimes/sport/story.aspx?brand=KLBTOnline&category=sportfootball&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=sportklbt&itemid=WeED12%20Oct%202005%2013%3A11%3A32%3A930Full Interview/Article posted at http://www.qpr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic_view=threadsandp=119508andt=36750


Holloway on Injuries, Crystal Palace Loss & Evening Standard Assertions
Kilburn Times - Injuries threaten to dent Holloway's plansnwln@inuk.co.uk05 October 2005IAN Holloway believes QPR's current injury crisis could hamper his side's push for the play-offs, writes Mike Anstead.Rangers' lack of strength in depth has not been highlighted better than in Monday's 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace, where late injuries to Steve Lomas, Dean Sturridge and Marc Nygaard threw Holloway's pre-match plans into chaos.The Rangers boss was forced to deploy 17-year-old Shabazz Baidoo from the bench with captain Kevin Gallen still to return following a hamstring problem. Lloyd Dyer, on loan from West Brom, was again played out of position at left-back with Mauro Milanese, Matthew Rose and Matthew Hislop also in an increasingly overcrowded treatment room."We changed the team from what we practiced on Sunday because of a few injuries," said Holloway."Marc Nygaard hurt his ribs, Dean Sturridge should have stepped in but was injured after training, and Steve Lomas was too ill to come."All of a sudden your plans go out the window and you're two goals down. I've had easier days in my management career so far. I had to change everything we did, scrub it out and start again."Our lack of strength in depth hurt us. We were chasing the game against a team that was in the Premiership last year and I had to put a 17-year-old kid on."If we were two, three-nil up, he can go on there and enjoy himself. If you're 2-1 down, it's difficult."A free weekend offers a valuable recuperation period for Holloway's wounded, and the Rangers manager is keen for as many of them to return in time for his side's game away to Preston on October 15.He added: "I think we need everyone back because when we have everyone fit, we have quite a strong squad."When everyone isn't, we are weakened quite dramatically. If you lose at home twice in a row, it's not a nice feeling and we're not used to it."Holloway offered few words about Gianni Paladini's decision to take legal action against the Evening Standard newspaper after a series of articles questioning the club's dealings with agents.However, the boss is firmly backing the chairman. He said: "One certain paper should just shut up because their facts are so wrong. So wrong, it's scary. "You do not quote five years' worth of agents' fees and call it a year. That's what's presumed, so it'll be very interesting to see what happens with that."http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/content/camden/kilburntimes/sport/story.aspx?brand=KLBTOnline&category=sportfootball&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=sportklbt&itemid=WeED05%20Oct%202005%2011%3A36%3A33%3A130Ealing Times -Paladani takes control of QPRBy Staff ReporterGIANNI Paladini has been named as the new chairman of Queens Park Rangers Football Club.He was the unanimous choice of the board after Interim chairman Gualtiero Trucco stepped down.Paladini said: "I am deeply honoured that the directors have allowed me this opportunity. I believe these are wonderful times to be a QPR supporter."We have a wonderful manager in Ian Holloway, an exciting and improving squad and a real opportunity to push for the play-offs."I believe we now have the right people in place, both on the pitch and behind the scenes, to take the club forward."But the new man in charge has not had the easiest of baptisms with an FA charge landing in his lap and a 3-1 home defeat against Crystal Palace following soon after.Rangers and opponents Leicester City, have been charged by the FA with failing to control their players during their Championship match at the Walkers Stadium on September 24.There was a mass brawl during the game, which QPR won 2-1, and referee Colin Webster showed two red and seven yellow cards during the match, with Paul Furlong grabbing the decider just before he was sent off.The two clubs have until October 12 to respond to the charge.Then on Monday, Rangers live television jinx struck again as they crashed at home to Palace in a London derby.They were undone by a four-minute brace from German Marco Reich.Gareth Ainsworth's header reduced the deficit but Palace added a third late on through Tom Soares.QPR boss Ian Holloway said: "Palace were a little bit stronger than us in every department."We have lost our last two matches at home. It's not a nice feeling and we are not used to it. I wasn't very pleased in the dressing room after the game.""Our lack of strength in depth hurt us."We were beaten by the slightly better side. But when we get our players back, we will have a better chance.He also blamed the Sky TV cameras as Rangers failed to produce in front of the armchair audience again.He said: "It's happened before. There's too much stuff going on and it distracts the players."Rangers are without a game this weekend because of the World Cup qualifiers.http://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/sport/qpr/rangers/display.var.638671.0.paladani_takes_control_of_qpr.php

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

LINKS